In recent months, we've noticed a trend in retail packaging design: less is more! No longer limited to eco-boutiques, it's thrilling to see mainstream manufacturers and big box retailers adopting eco-friendly packaging practices.
The goal: Less in the Landfill.
What we're seeing out on the shelves:
- Elimination of plastic and shrink-wrap
- Smaller product labeling (recyclable & recycled, of course)
- Product labeling attached with biodegradable hemp or jute string (instead of plastic loops)
- Reusable packaging (paperboard and tins - for refills and repurposing)
- Compostable bags and clam-shells
- Flat packs
As a consumer, your purchases are a positive vote for these trends. As a design client, you can be assured that adopting these approaches will save short-term production expense, and pay long-term dividends with the new eco-savvy consumer.
*eco peanut's design background